Aaron found these old Almo, Idaho, photos recently while digging around some historical sites. The one above shows Grandma Etta Taylor (Scott's grandma) as part of a class photo outside "the red brick schoolhouse" - which is not the same old school now down the road from the ranch house. Grandma Etta is No. 25 - thank heavens for the typed key below the photo.
Since she was born in 1906, and she looks about 5-7 in this photo, that would set the time in about 1911-1913.
As Aaron said in his original email to the siblings, he thinks this was located up at the Cove, and I think he's right. However, when he stopped by my office this week and we took a closer look at the mountains in the background and compared them to images from Google Earth, I think I convinced him that it is not the house that was located up on the side of the hill on the south side of the Cove property (that's what I wondered initially too, but thought different after a closer look).
As Aaron said in his original email to the siblings, he thinks this was located up at the Cove, and I think he's right. However, when he stopped by my office this week and we took a closer look at the mountains in the background and compared them to images from Google Earth, I think I convinced him that it is not the house that was located up on the side of the hill on the south side of the Cove property (that's what I wondered initially too, but thought different after a closer look). I remember hearing stories from Grandpa Wally of relatives (grandparents, I think) that lived on property to the west of our Cove property, off the Big Cove Road (look at Google Maps). I think this is one of those houses.
Aaron said in his email that the house James Thomas Taylor, Dad's great-grandpa (or Grandpa Wally's grandpa).
P.S. - You can click on the images on the blog for a much larger, more detailed view. They're really nice, big original images.
Comments/suggested captions
- "1. What is the teacher holding? 2. 25% of the class is a Durfee." -- Jennifer S., 01-23-09
- "25% of the class is a Durfee -- Welcome to Almo!" -- Aaron, 01-23-09
- "One question concerning the class photo: Where is Wally? Playin' hooky?" -- Aaron, 01-23-09
- "Famous people who have worn #25 -- Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Jim Thome, Reggie Bush, Etta Jones?" -- Mitch, 01-28-09
No comments:
Post a Comment